Spicy Vegan Cabbage Rolls (V)
Serves 4 (makes 8 cabbage rolls)
- 1 head savoy cabbage
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 8-ounce block of tempeh, finely chopped
- ½ cup Thai & True Pad Thai Tamari Sauce, plus more for dipping
- 8 ounces mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for serving
- Salt, to taste
- Red chili pepper flakes, for serving
- Flip the head of savoy cabbage upside down. Locate the base of the outer leaf and make a small cut to detach the leaf from the stem. Repeat this process with the eight best and biggest cabbage leaves.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Prepare a bowl of ice water and set it next to your stove.
- Submerge one or two cabbage leaves in the boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Use tongs to remove the cabbage leaves and transfer them to the ice bath to stop cooking. Set the blanched cabbage leaves aside on paper towels and repeat with the remaining leaves.
- Drizzle the toasted sesame oil in a cast iron skillet and turn to medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chopped tempeh and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes. Pour ¼ cup of Thai & True Pad Thai Tamari Sauce over the tempeh and stir to coat. Once the tempeh has absorbed the sauce, add the mushrooms and carrot to the pan and cook until the veggies have softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and add the garlic and ginger to the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes more, then turn off the heat and add the remaining Thai & True Pad Thai Tamari Sauce and sliced scallions. Stir to combine all of the ingredients. Season with salt, to taste.
- Dry the cabbage leaves thoroughly. Use a sharp knife to remove the thickest part of the stems. Add a large spoonful of the tempeh filling to the middle of each cabbage leaf. Tuck in the sides and roll the leaf around the filling from the bottom up. Place the cabbage rolls seam-side down on a platter. Brush the tops of the cabbage rolls with Thai & True Pad Thai Tamari Sauce (optional).
- Sprinkle the cabbage rolls with sliced scallions and red chili pepper flakes. Serve with more Thai & True Pad Thai Tamari Sauce on the side for dipping.