Thai-Inspired Vegan Larb (V)
- 1⁄4 red onion, thinly sliced into 2-inch pieces 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, white and green parts finely chopped 1 Thai red chili (or a red jalapeño), finely chopped Salt to taste
- 1 8-oz block of tempeh, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup Thai & True Pad Thai Tamari Sauce
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1⁄2 large cucumber, cut into half-moons
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks Fresh mint, cilantro, basil, for garnish
Layer the red onion slices in a bowl and drizzle them with rice vinegar and water. Press the onion pieces down with the back of a fork or spoon to submerge them in the vinegar mixture. Set aside and toss the onion pieces occasionally as you prepare the vegan larb.
Meanwhile, heat the neutral oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the garlic, the white and light green parts of the scallions, and the Thai chili or red jalapeño. Season with a pinch of salt and sauté for about a minute.
Add the finely chopped tempeh to the skillet and lower the heat to medium. Cook the tempeh, stirring occasionally, until it is light golden in color, about 7 minutes.
Pour the Thai & True Pad Thai Tamari Sauce into the skillet and stir to coat the tempeh in the sauce. Sprinkle in the coconut sugar and stir until the sauce is thick and bubbly and mostly absorbed by the tempeh. Turn off the heat.
Stir the lime juice into the tempeh mixture and add the dark green parts of the scallions. Adjust the flavors according to your preference - it should be a nice balance of sweet, salty, and bright from the lime juice.
Drain the vinegar from the red onion. Divide the tempeh between plates and serve with pickled red onion, cucumber, carrot, and fresh mint, cilantro, and basil. Enjoy warm.