Chickpea and Jackfruit Red Curry (V)
Serves 2 to 3
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1½ cups of jackfruit, chopped into small pieces (see note)
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Thai & True Red Curry Paste
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 cups tomato, chopped
- ¾ cup coconut cream
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Lime juice, to taste
- Cooked Jasmine rice, for serving
- Cilantro, for topping
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the garlic and ginger and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the jackfruit to the skillet and break up any large pieces with a spatula. Continue to cook until the jackfruit has softened and crisped slightly around the edges, about 5 minutes.
- Add the yellow onion and red bell pepper to the skillet and season with a teaspoon of salt. Then add 3 to 4 tablespoons of Thai & True Red Curry Paste, depending on how strong of a flavor you prefer. Stir to coat the jackfruit and vegetables in the curry paste and continue to sauté for 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Add the chickpeas, tomato, coconut cream, and vegetable broth to the skillet and turn to medium-high heat. Once the curry has reached a rapid simmer, reduce the heat slightly to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook the curry until the vegetables have softened, about 10 to 12 minutes. Turn off the heat and add a squeeze of lime juice.
- Ladle the curry into shallow bowls and add a big scoop of cooked jasmine rice to each. Garnish with cilantro and a lime wedge.