Crispy Tofu Panang Curry with Noodles (V)
For the crispy tofu:
- 1 16-oz block of super-firm or extra-firm tofu
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup cornstarch
For the panang curry:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, peeled and cut into 1-inch squares
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally into ½ inch pieces
- 2 bell peppers, cut into 1-inch squares
- Sea salt, to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Thai & True Panang Curry Paste
- 1 13.5-oz can coconut milk
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- ½ tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Rice or wheat noodles, cooked, for serving
- Fresh basil, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 375F degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Drain the water from the tofu packaging and press the tofu block between a few layers of paper towels to release as much moisture as possible.
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes and place in a bowl. Drizzle the tofu with olive oil and low-sodium soy sauce and gently stir to coat each piece.
- Add the cornstarch to a smaller bowl. Working in batches, transfer the tofu cubes to the cornstarch and toss to lightly coat each piece.
- Arrange the coated tofu cubes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake the tofu for 25 minutes, flipping the pieces halfway through. When done, set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, and bell pepper and season with a pinch of sea salt.
- Sauté the veggies for 3 minutes, then add the Thai & True Panang Curry Paste and stir to coat. Cook the veggies for 2 minutes more.
- Add the coconut milk and water to the skillet and stir to combine. Bring the curry to a gentle simmer and cover the pan. Reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes more, until the veggies are tender.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the peanut butter, low-sodium soy sauce, and lime juice. Adjust the flavors to your preference.
- Divide cooked noodles between shallow bowls and ladle the panang curry over the noodles. Top each bowl with crispy tofu and fresh basil.