Spicy Homemade Pickles (V)
Serves 4 as a side or garnish
- 2 Persian cucumbers, sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 inch of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- ⅔ cup rice vinegar
- ⅓ cup filtered water
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ to 1 teaspoon Thai & True Sarachee Hot Sauce (depending on your heat preference)
- Add the cucumber slices to a glass jar, layering the sliced shallot, garlic, and ginger between the cucumber slices if possible.
- Sprinkle the sea salt and whole black peppercorns over the ingredients in the jar.
- In a separate bowl, combine the rice vinegar and filtered water. Add the sugar and the Thai & True Sarachee Hot Sauce and whisk until dissolved in the liquid.
- Pour the pickling liquid over the cucumber slices. Press down on the ingredients floating at the top of the jar to submerge them in the vinegar mixture as much as possible.
- Twist the lid on the jar, give it a good shake, and place it in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
These Spicy Homemade Pickles can be enjoyed after a couple of hours, but they taste even better after chilling overnight. Store in the refrigerator and consume within 1 week.