Sticky Thai Vegan Wings (V)
Water and ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce, for simmering the wings
For the vegan wings
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vegan worcestershire sauce
- ¾ cups water
- ½ cup Thai & True Sweet Hot Chili Sauce
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon Thai & True Hot Chili Oil (optional)
Sesame seeds, for garnish
Green onion, chopped, for garnish
- Fill a saucepan halfway with water and add ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce. Bring to a rapid simmer.
- Combine the vital wheat gluten, all purpose flour, garlic powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl and whisk together. Pour in the water and vegan worcestershire sauce and whisk again, until the mixture is too thick to stir. Knead the mixture together gently with your hands for three minutes.
- Tear off tablespoon sized chunks of the seitan and set them aside on a plate. They may look small, but they will expand when they cook.
- Carefully lower the seitan pieces into the simmering water and cook for 30 minutes. Lower the heat as needed to prevent the water from boiling.
- Meanwhile, mix the glaze ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven or air fryer to 375F degrees. Once the seitan is cooked, drain and pat it dry with paper towels. Return the empty saucepan to the stovetop.
- Transfer the seitan wings to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spray with cooking oil. Or, place them in your air fryer basket and spray with oil. Bake the wings for 20 minutes, flipping them over halfway through. If using your air fryer, cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour the glaze into the saucepan and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat; the glaze will thicken as it cools.
- When the wings are done, drizzle them with the warm glaze and toss to coat.
- Transfer the Sticky Thai Vegan Wings to a serving platter. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped green onion.