Thai Red Curry Shrimp
Serves 2 to 3
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Thai & True Red Curry Paste
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced into 3-inch pieces
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced into 3-inch pieces
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1½ cups crushed tomatoes
- ½ tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 12 ounces peeled and deveined shrimp
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Cooked rice or rice noodles, for serving
- Fresh basil, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot, ginger, and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir the Thai & True Red Curry Paste into the aromatics and sauté for a minute more.
- Add the bell pepper and onion to the curry paste mixture and stir to coat. Cook for 3 minutes or so, until the veggies have softened slightly.
- Add the coconut milk to the skillet along with the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, fish sauce, and coconut sugar. Stir and allow the curry to come to a simmer.
- Simmer the curry for 10 minutes, maintaining the heat so the curry doesn’t come to a full boil. Carefully taste the curry and add a pinch of salt or coconut sugar to balance the flavors to your liking.
- Add the shrimp to the curry and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp is pink and cooked through. Remove the curry from heat and stir in a squeeze of lime juice.
- Ladle the Thai Red Curry Shrimp over cooked rice or rice noodles and garnish with fresh basil. Remove shrimp tails before eating.