Spicy Green Bean Stir Fry with Cashews (V)
For the tempeh
- 1½ tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Thai & True Sarachee Hot Sauce, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon agave or honey
- 2 tablespoons salted peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 ounces of tempeh, cut into cubes
For the stir-fry
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 4 whole scallions, diagonally sliced
- 1 to 2 Thai red chilis, thinly sliced
- 1 pound of green beans, trimmed into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups of roasted cashews
- Sesame seeds, for serving
- Cooked rice, for serving (optional)
- Combine the soy sauce or tamari, sesame oil, Thai & True Sarachee Hot Sauce, rice vinegar, agave or honey, peanut butter, and water in a medium-sized bowl and whisk to combine. Adjust the flavors to taste - the marinade should be very flavorful.
- Add the tempeh cubes to the marinade and stir to coat all of the pieces. Cover and refrigerate the tempeh for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare all of your stir-fry components and set them by the stove so they’re ready when you start to cook. Preheat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat and add a teaspoon of canola oil. When the oil is very hot, add the tempeh, leaving behind excess marinade in the bowl (reserve the extra marinade for later). Cook the tempeh for 3 minutes on each side, until browned and crispy, about 15 minutes total. Transfer the tempeh to a clean bowl and set aside.
- Wipe the skillet or wok clean and add the remaining teaspoon of canola oil. Add the sliced scallions and Thai chilis and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Then add the green beans and toss to combine everything together. Continue to cook the veggies until the green beans are tender and lightly charred, about 10 minutes. Scoop the leftover marinade into the stir fry and toss to coat the green beans. Turn off the heat and add the tempeh back to the skillet or wok.
- Sprinkle the stir fry with roasted cashews and sesame seeds. Serve over cooked rice, if desired. For extra spice, serve with more Thai & True Sarachee Hot Sauce for drizzling.