Sweet and Spicy Tofu with Broccoli (V)
- 1 16-ounce block of super-firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Neutral oil, for cooking
- 1 medium head of broccoli
- 1 small white onion
- Big pinch of fine sea salt
- A few twists of black pepper
- ⅓ cup Thai & True Sweet Hot Chili Sauce
- Cooked jasmine rice, for serving
- Sesame seeds, for serving
- Drain the block of tofu and place it between two absorbent towels. Set a heavy pan on top of the tofu and let it sit for 15 minutes to press the water out.
- Meanwhile, grate the ginger and garlic into a large bowl. Add the low-sodium soy sauce and toasted sesame oil and stir to combine.
- Unwrap the tofu and slice it into 1-inch cubes. Add the tofu to the bowl with the soy sauce mixture and gently toss the tofu so each piece is coated.
- Add a drizzle of oil to a large skillet, just enough to lightly coat the bottom. Turn the heat to medium-high. When the oil is hot, add the tofu pieces in a single layer, leaving excess marinade in the bowl. Cook the tofu for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, until golden brown and lightly crisp.
- Meanwhile, chop the broccoli head and stem into bite-sized pieces. Cut the onion into 1-inch squares. Transfer the chopped veggies to the bowl with the leftover soy-sauce ginger mixture and stir.
- When it’s done, remove the tofu from the pan and set it aside on a plate. Pour the broccoli and onion into the hot skillet along with any remaining marinade and sauté for 5 minutes, until the broccoli is bright green and the onion is tender. Season the veggies with salt and black pepper.
- Add the tofu back to the skillet and drizzle everything with Thai & True Sweet Hot Chili Sauce. Remove the pan from heat and stir to combine the tofu and veggies in the sauce.
- Serve the Sweet and Spicy Tofu with Broccoli over cooked jasmine rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds.